Saturday, May 7, 2011

Home "making"

I love crafting! I have always had a creative mind, constantly doodling and using color. Recently, I have turned this creativity towards our home. My favorite is taking old, or boring pieces, and turning them into something unique! I first caught the "decorating bug" when I was in college and took two old beat up pieces of furniture from the trash - sanded, painted and made them my own. At that time, I didn't quite have the materials or know-how to redo correctly, but I am learning :) Here are a few of my recent favorites that have helped turn our house into a home:

This is one of my original dumpster finds. I recently gave her a complete makeover - painting her red, replacing the hinges, and fixing the wheels. I also added the wine glass holder underneath to add some functionality.

Here she is in my kitchen. I also recently fixed up the white chair on the left. It definitely has some history and memories for me. This is where I sat and ate hundreds of meals growing up. It had become quite beat up and needed the seat and back completely replaced. I also repainted some of the metal to make it good as new :)

So I might have went a little crazy with the wedding silhouettes, but I love them. Plus, we only plan on doing that once, so better live it up! I also added some yellow pillows in the bedroom to add some color and fun to a pretty neutral room. 

A ten minute project that may need to be redone in the future...The wood glue has discolored the wood between the cracks, but you have to look very close to see that, so it will stay up just like that for a while!

The kitchen in our current house is pretty retro. It's painted a mint green and is overall very outdated. I am so proud of how my decor has made the kitchen a fun space. A main contribution was these very simple curtains I made that embrace our dated motif, and scale down the green walls.

I have lots more projects waiting in the garage right now. This wet/rainy/depressing spring has halted many of my painting projects, but summer is almost here! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment