Friday, October 5, 2012

A Baby Story...

I absolutely cannot believe that a week has gone by since Gabe entered our lives. It has definitely been the most exciting/terrifying/happiest week of my life! We are learning as we go, but have settled somewhat into our new lives.

Now to look back at that day a week ago...

Last Thursday (the 27th) I woke up having fairly regular contractions. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for about the last month, so it was a little difficult for me to decide if this was the real thing or not. I continued to get ready for school, but the contractions were consistant at 8 minutes apart, so I decided I should probably stay home just in case.

Well, that was a good decision :) The contractions started to pick up a little and were getting stronger. Noah stayed home and we headed to the hospital at about 11:00 in the morning.

We actually didn't get to meet with the Dr. until about 2:30 in the afternoon. By then we had made dozens of laps around the delivery floor, and the contractions had picked up...now they were about 2-3 minutes apart. When the Dr. was able to check, I was dilated far enough to have my water broke. It was quite the whirlwind when this all took place. We can laugh now, but this all happened in about a 2 minute period of time. There was no turning back!!

We continued in labor for a while, and at 7:39 that night, Gabe entered the world. Everything went smoothly. The cord did get wrapped around his neck in delivery, but didn't cause him much stress. He also had had a bowel movement before birth...and on the table while the nurses were cleaning him, but that also turned out to be fine. He was a healthy baby boy - 7 lbs 11 ounces, 20 inches long!


















































No comments:

Post a Comment