Yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of the tragic attacks on the Twin Towers in New York City. A single morning changed this nation, and will never be forgotten.
I was in Biology class when I first heard of the attacks.This was before the time of live streaming in classrooms - instead we turned on the radio. We listened and tried to comprehend as best we could what had taken place. I remember being utterly confused. It sounded like we were at war, but I had no idea against who? I remember switching classes and our teachers trying to talk to us and explain the situation, but nothing made sense. Kids kept guessing what happened and making up stories until we didn't know what to believe. Finally, the school was able to get a TV in the library to show what had happened. What I had pictured in my mind was not even close to what I saw as I watched the replay of each airplane hit the skyscrapers and the eventual collapse of both buildings.
Noah remembers sitting in Mrs. Wilson's Geometry class. He was actually late that day, but she didn't notice because she had the TV on. It was turned to the news replaying the attacks. He doesn't remember much else about that day, to him it seems more real now than it did then.
Today, I talked to some of my classes about September 11th. It's crazy to think that most of them were too young to have any recollection of the day. Many of them don't remember a time when we were not sending troops to Iraq or Afghanistan, or elsewhere in the world in the fight against terrorism. So much has happened, yet it doesn't seem like it has been 10 years since that day.
"A decade after 9/11, it's clear for all the world to see - the terrorist who attacked us that September morning are no match for the character or our people, the resilience of our nation, or the endurance of our values."
-President Obama 9/10/2011
Prayers for those who lost their lives, and all who have, and are putting their lives on the line to keep this nation safe. God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment